When you think about it, your bathroom pipes have one of the hardest jobs in your home. Yet we don’t think about it until we find ourselves needing toilet repair. Not being able to use your bathroom comfortably can really be an eye opener when it comes to realizing what should and shouldn’t go into your toilet. It’s an unfortunate fact that most of us don’t really know what can be flushed, what can be flushed but shouldn’t be flushed, and what should never be flushed. At Rocky’s Plumbing, we have some advice so you can avoid having to ask the neighbor to use the toilet because yours is overflowing.
What Can Be Flushed Down the Toilet?
So let’s make this easy. There are three simple categories when it comes to your toilet:
- What can be flushed
- What you think can be flushed but shouldn’t be
- What you should NEVER flush
While you are thinking, I already know what I can and can’t flush down a toilet, you may be surprised.
What Can Be Flushed?
- Bodily Fluids
- Toilet paper
You also have to remember to be conservative with your toilet paper. Too much can easily cause a clog. And even though we love that cushy toilet paper, it can be hard to break down, so keep that in mind and reconsider your toilet paper usage.
Things You Think Can Be Flushed But Shouldn’t Be
- Baby wipes/Adult wipes/Kleenex/Paper Towels – these products are designed to keep in moisture, so dumping them down a water pipe can end up causing a serious blockage
- Dental Floss – this can end up balling up and catching other items, causing a blockage
- Q-Tips and Cotton Balls – these items will clump and cause – you guessed it – blockages
Things to NEVER Flush
- Diapers – this is a given. Most diapers are too big to go down the toilet in the first place, yet people do try.
- Medications/Drugs – the chemicals in our septic systems are not equipped to clean certain chemicals from water, which means they end up back in the water system, potentially causing problems.
- Feminine hygiene products
- Any type of grease – it WILL congeal and create a great seal that will prevent your pipes from working properly.
- Anything that isn’t human waste and toilet paper
Mistakes Happen- Rocky’s Plumbing Can Help With Toilet Repair
We tend to use the toilet as a dispose-all- one flush, and boom, it’s gone. However, you have to remember that your toilet isn’t a black hole. It is connected to a system of pipes that are not invincible. So when little Timmy decides it’s a good idea for his G.I. Joe to go for a swim, it’s going to cause some damage. Don’t risk your pipe or septic system and end up with an expensive problem. The sooner you call a plumber when you have a toilet issue, the less risk you have of damaging your entire plumbing system. If you end up with a blockage or toilet related problem, call Rocky’s Plumbing right away!